I always feel presumptuous when I think or say that, since this quilt is made of very traditional elements. However, I looked around online for quite a while, and I didn't see another just like it, so there it is--I designed a quilt.
This quilt takes elements of the traditional Arkansas Crossroads and combines it with my love of string blocks.
As you can see, I replaced the sixteen patch blocks with string blocks arranged in an X to mimic the shape in the crossroads blocks.
Here are some closer pictures (and you can see that I couldn't refrain from sticking in some fun fabrics!).
|A jungle face and a hint of the Cardinals MLB fabric|
|A red onion (doesn't everyone need a quilt with an onion on it?)|
|Elephants (at least parts of them)|
|Another jungle face|
I backed it with a beige and brown print, and I quilted it with an all-over meander. A bright red binding finished it off. The size is 82" x 98" (and it was a wrestling match to quilt one that large on my DSM [Domestic Sewing Machine]), but it was worth it to be able to say I did it all--from design to piecing to quilting to binding myself!
I'm hoping to write a pattern for this, but I've never done that before! We'll see how it turns out. I'll offer it for free here on the blog when/if I get it together.
Yes, I designed a quilt!
I'm linking with Jo's Country Junction UFO Challenge and Fiber Tuesday 65 at The Quilting Room with Mel.