Friday, April 14, 2023

Housedresses

I like to wear housedresses.

They are comfortable, cool, and if someone comes to the door (or I need to take out the trash!), they are modest and presentable. Don't get me wrong--if the house is cold in the winter, you will usually find me in sweatpants and a flannel shirt--but, since we heat our very small house with a large woodstove, my house is rarely cold!

Recently, I got an email about a bargain on a flat-fold bundle of quilter's calico from Marshall Dry Goods. At $1.95/yard, I decided the time had come to make some housedresses. 


Most of the pieces were about six yards in length, so I knew they would be adequate for the project. They are 100% cotton, which I wanted, and are fairly busy prints. Busy prints will show stains and mends less, and since I wear them for housework, yardwork, and cooking, this was a plus. They also remind me of the dresses my grandmother and great-grandmother wore. 😀

I used this pattern:


The design is loose and comfortable. It is an easy sewing project, and at less than $14.00 per dress, it was much less expensive than buying ready-made. I could also change the design to make it fit my own needs and wants.

I made the sleeves fuller and added more width to the skirt. I sewed in-seam pockets (reinforced so they can really be of use) rather than the outside patch pockets.

I love them! They are easy to wash and dry and are very comfortable to wear.

Apparently, I'm not the only person who enjoys wearing house dresses. There is a Facebook page for a small company called thisismyhousedress. Their designs look very much like mine.

You can learn about the history of the housedress at several different sites. This one has several pictures; this one has pictures of vintage sewing patterns; and this one has links to several different sites about the subject.

Happy Sewing! 😺




6 comments:

  1. I also love and wear house dresses, always have, even as a young woman. Glad to know I'm not alone in wanting to be comfy all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not alone! 😊 I find I'm able to get more done if I'm comfortable.
      Thank you for commenting and for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  2. Hi! My name is Rachel Bailey and I work at Marshall Dry Goods, and if you are ever in need of fabric or batting, please reach out to me at 870-793-2405 and I would love to help you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel is the person who helped me get this terrific bargain! As she writes, Marshall Dry Goods is a great place to get what you need. I buy batting by the roll there, and I love their flat-fold bundles. Thanks for your help, Rachel. 😀

      Delete
  3. I don't wear housedresses at home, but I do like to take one when I travel, so that I can get from the bathroom to the bedroom without having to keep getting re-dressed. Enjoy your new housedresses.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I have, however, had to add moderation of comments because of spammers. Thanks for your patience.
Happy Quilting,
The Eclectic Abuela