Friday, April 13, 2018

On Ringo Lake--Chocolate Lovers Edition

I finished my version of Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt called On Ringo Lake. I call mine the Chocolate Lovers Edition, since my cornerstones and other pieces are made of fabric printed with chocolates and chocolate chips.

I changed Bonnie's aqua to green, but I stuck with her other suggested colors.

On Ringo Lake--Chocolate Lovers Edition (76" x 92")

On Ringo Lake (detail)

On Ringo Lake (chocolate detail)

On Ringo Lake (backing and binding detail)

Nearly everything came from my scraps/stash--even the backing fabric. I thought backing was a good use for the fabric since the print is so large. I ended up with about 8" of the piece left over (whew! that was close!).


The hardest part of this project for me was the assembly--on-point with sashing. The sashing had to be turned a particular way, and thinking on the diagonal is never something that comes easily for me. I was very careful--checking and re-checking directions--but I'm sure that something in there is turned the wrong way. Just call it a design variation. 😃


This quilt is HEAVY! I'm talking about weight, not necessarily thickness or warmth--all those seams add up to more weight than you would expect.


I simply meandered the quilting--some of the fabrics caused a bit of thread shredding, so I was very glad to finally finish quilting it.


I enjoyed this project. It is the third Bonnie Hunter quilt I have done during her annual mystery (I did Old Tobacco Road long after the actual mystery time). I look forward to see what she cooks up for next year!

Previous blog posts about the mystery can be found here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, and Part 5. After Part 5, there were several rapid-fire clues and the reveal, but I didn't blog about those--I had to catch up!

I'm linking with Fiber Tuesday 153 at The Quilting Room with Mel and Whatever Wednesday at Jo's Country Junction.

16 comments:

  1. Your quilt looks amazing and I love the fabric colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Thanks, too, for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  2. It is so pretty. I really like the green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm not a big aqua fan--this looks like chocolate mint to me (I am a big fan of chocolate mint!). :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, that quilt is so very beautiful!! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Love your quilt. I am ashamed to say my Ringo Lake is still just 'piles of units'. I'll get back to it after "It was the 80s" is done, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Units are good--uncut fabric is much worse! :) Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. I am sure the chocolate fabric will be smiles for years. It is beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lovely colored version of On Ringo Lake. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your finish!

    I know firsthand how hard that sashing is to get right. There is at least one error in mine that I"m choosing to leave in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tough--plus being on-point! I was glad to finish it. :)

      Delete

I love your comments! I have, however, had to add moderation of comments because of spammers. Thanks for your patience.
Happy Quilting,
The Eclectic Abuela