Thursday, July 22, 2021

String Carpenter's Star

If you have read my blog (or just looked at the pictures!) you know that I delight in string blocks. This is my latest string project.

String Carpenter's Star (82" x 82")

Carpenter's Star (sometimes called Carpenter's Wheel) is a traditional pattern, and layout charts are available in many places online (the one I used is HERE), but I substituted string blocks for the regular color or print blocks.

I drew it on EQ8, so I could get an idea of what I would need.

EQ8 Plan--I did change the four corners to string blocks rather than the plain ones shown.

I can never get an adequate look at the variety of strings in my blocks with the program, but it did help with my numbers and placement for the blocks.

The blocks finish at 4", the quilt is a combination of full string blocks, HSTs of strings and background, and plain background blocks. (I did use rectangles of background fabric as a kind of border around the center part instead of using a bunch of plain background blocks sewn together.)

String Carpenter's star (center detail)

It took me a bit of time to assemble. I started with the center and built it outwards; this way I could see the pattern coming together as I went--trying to do it row-by-row didn't fit in my brain!

String Carpenter's Star (backing and binding detail)

I found a piece of 108" backing in my stash. With all the seams in the top, I thought a one piece backing would be easier to quilt. Quilting is not my strong suit, so it is stitched in the ditch between blocks; I also stitched just inside the edges of the zigzagging string blocks.

I am happy with the result. I've always wanted to try this pattern; I think it makes a beautiful quilt. In substituting the string blocks, I made it a little different from the norm. This substitution can work in many projects.

 

In this one, I used the Arkansas Crossroads pattern.

String Crossroads

 

This one is Stringy Lanes which uses the Sunny Lanes pattern.

Stringy Lanes


Here is a Bear Paw with string blocks.

Bear Paw

The possibilities are limitless. If you enjoy string blocks, be on the lookout for non-traditional ways that you can use them.

Happy Quilting! 😸











10 comments:

  1. Great quilt. Now to finish your quilt (probably the Arkansas Crossroads quilt) that I was supposed to have ready for the family reunion last October (it was cancelled). Now it has to be ready THIS October. I'm late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. Good luck on your project--you can do it!

      Delete
  2. All of your string quilts are beautiful! Great designs, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! I've been doing scrappies lately, guess I'm going to have to try string piecing, all of these are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I rarely make anything that isn't scrappy--when I do, I always think, "This is missing something!" String piecing is my favorite. 🌞

      Delete
  4. I have been making string blocks and now you have given me ideas on how to use them!! As ever, your quilts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fran. Have fun with your blocks!

      Thanks, too, for visiting my blog.

      Delete

I love your comments! I have, however, had to add moderation of comments because of spammers. Thanks for your patience.
Happy Quilting,
The Eclectic Abuela