Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Flowing Flowers

A Spiderweb Quilt With a Different Layout


A spiderweb quilt is a type of string quilt and is constructed basically the same way (previous tutorial with instructions here). The difference is that instead of beginning with a square foundation, you begin with a triangle.








As with the square foundation, you secure your center strip. (I use a washable glue stick.)








Add a strip to one side of your center fabric.









Fold back and crease with your fingernail or an iron.









Add a second strip to the other side.








Press back.


Each of these has a center and one strip on each side.






Continue to add strips until your triangle is covered. Trim as shown in previous tutorial.





Four triangles will be sewn together to create a star. As you line up the stars, the spiderwebs form.


Your eyes are not deceiving you--this picture is of another spiderweb I made!





A basic spiderweb quilt has all the stars in straight rows.








A serpentine layout has off-set blocks. I first saw this layout on the Quiltville blog  here. Note the difference in the rows of stars. While the vertical columns are straight, the horizontal rows are off-set. This is accomplished by adding a half-block at the bottom and the top of every other vertical column.








Rather than creating spiderwebs, this off-set layout creates the serpentine pattern.







 I'm not much of a snake fan (even the word serpentine brings "a tighter breathing, And zero at the bone" to quote Miss Dickinson), so I prefer the idea of the currents in a stream. Combined with the fact that all the prints in this quilt are florals, I chose the name Flowing Flowers for this quilt.



Here are close-up shots that show the backings I chose for each of the spiderweb quilts shown above.
 






If you enjoy making square string blocks, give the triangles a try. It is fun to see the secondary patterns come together.

2 comments:

  1. That was nice :) I know I've already seen your Flowing Flowers on the forum but I enjoyed the explanation :) You have a great taste in fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I have, however, had to add moderation of comments because of spammers. Thanks for your patience.
Happy Quilting,
The Eclectic Abuela