Monday, September 19, 2016

Original Design Quilt Entry for the Blogger's Quilt Festival

I'm excited to enter Amy Ellis's 2016 Blogger's Quilt Festival at AmysCreativeSide.com again this year. Amy puts on a great Festival--so many beautiful things to look at--thanks so much, Amy, for organizing it.

My entry in the Original Design Quilt category is a quilt I call String Crossroads. It is an original design combining traditional elements.

String Crossroads

String Crossroads (detail)

String Crossroads (detail)

String Crossroads (backing and binding detail)



I used a huge variety of fabrics in this one--traditional, modern, and novelty. The crossroads blocks were made with a constant cream-colored fabric. The quilt measures 82' x 98", and I quilted it on my domestic sewing machine.

I have written instructions (not a formal pattern) for this quilt. They are available on my blog at http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/p/string-crossing-pattern.html . If you should make one--I'd love to see it!


Thanks for looking at my entry.
 

30 comments:

  1. String blocks are great for combining different fabrics. What a clever design! Happy BQF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my - that is a beauty!!!! Great design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt. I love that you were able to use traditionals along with novelties! It blends and gives it interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely design and makes up into a wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very nice design, I like that you used so many different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love new designs that are based on traditional concepts. And with your particular quilt, I really liked that you mixed fabrics from different styles. It sort of makes it an I Spy quilt, too. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janine. There is lots of room to play with the fabrics in a string quilt.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful quilt! I love how it has such a great, strong geometric pattern and how it is so fun and scrappy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I love both of the quilts you show in the festival! Quilting is so fun: this quilt looks beautiful and when we see it from far away, it's like sparkling stars! x Teje
    www.nerospostbox.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teje. I'm enjoying all the quilts in the festival.

      Delete
  9. This a lovely quilt! Love the setting

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome use of string blocks! Good luck with your entry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this design and many thanks for the earlier tutorial - definitely one to add to my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun quilt! I've not sewn strings on the diagonal because I'm not sure I can handle the bias carefully enough, but after seeing this quilt, maybe I'll give it a try. I like these blocks because even short strings can be used at the corners.
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've never sewn them straight (except for borders) because I know they would wind up too wonky for me! :) Give the diagonal a try--I think you'll find it is much easier than you expect.

      Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  13. this is awesome! I had to look closely to see how you designed the block. First of all I love a scrap quilt, all the mixing of color and pattern. Great job!
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is simpler than it looks. I LOVE string quilts and keep trying to find new ways to make them. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  14. This is a beautiful use for strings. Thanks for sharing the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one is on Elise's bed right now... And has been every day since it arrived! She loves it (and so do I). <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad she liked it. I'd like to make another one one day. :)

      Delete

I love your comments! I have, however, had to add moderation of comments because of spammers. Thanks for your patience.
Happy Quilting,
The Eclectic Abuela