Sunday, July 5, 2015

Vintage Double Wedding Ring

My daughter found this for me at a flea market. It is all hand-pieced. The fabrics are mostly cottons, though I think a few may be blends of some sort, and I suspect a few to be silk. I decided that to preserve the vintage piece and to honor the person who made it, I will hand quilt it.





Since the fabrics are old and delicate, I chose to go with a very stable, low-loft cotton batting.








I chose a floral print for the back. Muslin would likely be more correct for the period in which the top was made, but I wanted some color and interest in the back.






Instead of my regular glue basting, I am pin basting this one. Sometimes the dried glue can be difficult to sew through by hand, so I'm trying to make it a bit easier on my hands by using the pins. Three hundred pins later, here is the top.









I'll show my progress as it goes along. So far, even though my fingers are sore, the quilting is coming along nicely.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That's so much work but I can't wait to see the finished product. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's so much work but I can't wait to see the finished product. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may be waiting a while--I'm not very fast at this! It makes a nice change of pace, though. In consulting with some other quilters, the consensus seems to be that the fabrics were likely collected between the 1920s and early 1960s. It's fun to look at them and imagine where they came from.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I have, however, had to add moderation of comments because of spammers. Thanks for your patience.
Happy Quilting,
The Eclectic Abuela